Our laboratory is interested in the systems biology of nematodes. We seek to understand how the properties of an organism are encoded in its genome.
Our newest paper about Mono Lake worms in out now. Click on the following links to read all about it:
We are proud to announce Dr. Han Wang will start his own lab at the University of Wisconsin, Madison in January 2020. He will be a part of the Department of Integrative Biology.
We just published chapter II from Paul Minor’s PhD thesis (2013) as a set of five microPublications after realizing that we were just not going to get that “last experiment” done to get a slam-dunk conventional paper about LRP-2 and cell polarity in development. Links to the papers can be found here, here, here, here, and here.
May 29, 2019. Jonathan Liu defended his thesis "Engineering and application of cGAL, a GAL4 bipartite expression system for Caenorhabditis elegans."
May 13, 2019. Wen Chen defended her thesis "Proteomic profiling and functional characterization of C. elegans-expressed secreted proteins".
March, 2019. We were awarded 1.7 million from the Eunice Kennedy Shriver Institute of Child Health & Human Development to study the role of acetylcholine in cell migration, a collaboration with Dr. Mihoko Kato of Pomona College.
February, 2019. Mengyi Cao was awarded a Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Award (NRSA) Individual Postdoctroal Fellowship F32.
1.Shih PY, Lee JS, Shinya R, Kanzaki N, Piers-daSilva A, Badroos JM, Goetz E, Sapir A, Sternberg PW. Newly Identified Nematodes from Mono Lake Exhibit Extreme Arsenic Resistance. Current Biol. 2019 Sept 26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2019.08.024 [Epub ahead of print]
2. Beltran T, Barroso C, Birkle TY, Stevens L, Schwartz HT, Sternberg PW, Fradin H, Gunsalus K, Piano F, Sharma G, Cerrato C, Ahringer J, Martínez-Pérez E, Blaxter M, Sarkies P. Comparative Epigenomics Reveals that RNA Polymerase II Pausing and Chromatin Domain Organization Control Nematode piRNA Biogenesis. Dev Cell. 2019 Mar 25;48(6):793-810.e6. doi: 10.1016/j.devcel.2018.12.026. Epub 2019 Jan 31. PubMed PMID: 30713076; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6436959.
3. Wong WR, Brugman KI, Maher S, Oh JY, Howe K, Kato M, Sternberg PW. Autism-associated missense genetic variants impact locomotion and neurodevelopment in Caenorhabditis elegans. Hum Mol Genet. 2019 Jul 1;28(13):2271-2281. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddz051. PubMed PMID: 31220273; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC6586145.
4. Shih PY, Lee JS, Sternberg PW. Genetic markers enable the verification and manipulation of the dauer entry decision. Dev Biol. 2019 Jun 23. pii: S0012-1606(18)30788-7. http:doi: 10.1016/j.ydbio.2019.06.009. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 31242447.
We just published chapter II from Paul Minor’s PhD thesis (2013) as a set of five microPublications after realizing that we were just not going to get that “last experiment” done to get a slam-dunk conventional paper.
1. Minor PJ and Sternberg PW (2019a). LRP-2 control the localization of C. elegans SYS-1/beta-catenin. microPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000151
2. Minor PJ and Sternberg PW (2019b). LRP-2 functions in vulval precursor cell polarity. microPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000152
3. Minor PJ and Sternberg PW (2019c). LRP-2 likely acts downstream of EGL-20/Wnt. microPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000153
4. Minor PJ and Sternberg PW (2019d). Low density lipoprotein receptors LRP-1 and LRP-2 in C. elegans. microPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000154
5. Minor PJ and Sternberg PW (2019e). The role of lrp-2 in C. elegans vulval cell lineage polarity. microPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000155
6. Oh JY, Gharib S, Liu J, Wang H, Sternberg PW. (2019) DVC interneuron cGAL driver in Caenorhabditis elegans. MicroPublication Biology. https://doi.org/10.17912/micropub.biology.000082.